Friday, August 21, 2009

July 1, 2005 ::: The Anniversary of Carlos Gavito's Death


gavito
Originally uploaded by leone.


We all know that Gavito is dead of course, but I was just going back and looking up a post topic that I didn't follow through with back in May. I ran across something on S&M starlet Eva Norvind somehow, somewhere, and found that she started making a documentary about the life of Carlos Gavito in May of 2005. She drowned in Oaxaca, Mexico on May 15, 2006 - before the film was completed. The fact that Gavito died on July 1, just a couple of months after she started the film, may have doomed the project.

In looking back on my notes on the Eva Norvind post, I noted the July 1 anniversary of his death. I can't for the life of me remember what my angle was going to be - something about the unlikely tie between Norvind and Gavito perhaps. I seem to recall that he was her teacher, but perhaps that were also lovers. I dunno. The memory is not what it used to be.

Anyway, here's a bunch of stuff I found on Gavito, his tango, and his life.

Interview with Jackie Ling Wong on Keith Elshaw's www.totango.net

Article in TangoNoticias (Chicago) :: September 2005


Tango In Her Eyes :: Tango is a Religion :: September 27, 2005

Reportango Interview


La Vida Tango Newsletter Interview :: October 1, 2004

Oz (in Italian) :: February 25, 2005

Terence Clark on Blogcritics :: "Tango, Fine Spanish Wine and Carlos Gavito" :: September 18, 2007

YouTube video of a Gavito Class in 2004

YouTube video of another class, uploaded by PlanetTango "I teach tango y nada mas"

Here are some videos, some of which I've posted in the past...











No comments: