Saturday, August 24, 2019

it’s 3:23 in the morning - hieroglyphic stairway by drew dellinger

"it's 3:23 in the morning

and I'm awake

because my great great grandchildren

won't let me sleep

my great great grandchildren

ask me in dreams

what did you do while the planet was plundered?

what did you do when the earth was unraveling?

surely you did something

when the seasons started failing?

as the mammals, reptiles, birds were all dying?

did you fill the streets with protest

when democracy was stolen?

what did you do

once

you

knew?

I'm riding home on the Colma train

I've got the voice of the milky way in my dreams

I have teams of scientists

feeding me data daily

and pleading I immediately

turn it into poetry

I want just this consciousness reached

by people in range of secret frequencies

contained in my speech

I am the desirous earth

equidistant to the underworld

and the flesh of the stars

I am everything already lost

the moment the universe turns transparent

and all the light shoots through the cosmos

I use words to instigate silence

I'm a hieroglyphic stairway

in a buried Mayan city

suddenly exposed by a hurricane

a satellite circling earth

finding dinosaur bones

in the Gobi desert

I am telescopes that see back in time

I am the precession of the equinoxes,

the magnetism of the spiraling sea

I'm riding home on the Colma train

with the voice of the milky way in my dreams

I am myths where violets blossom from blood

like dying and rising gods

I'm the boundary of time

soul encountering soul

and tongues of fire

it's 3:23 in the morning

and I can't sleep

because my great great grandchildren

ask me in dreams

what did you do while the earth was unraveling?

I want just this consciousness reached

by people in range of secret frequencies

contained in my speech"


- Drew Dellinger – Hieroglyphic Stairway


Sent from my iPad

No comments: