Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Dancing Tango In A Kilt

So I'm reading an article about the new Breaking Bad film "El Camino" and they mention something about a guy who wears a kilt all the time, but no one knows why. And voila, out pops (or more accurately "up from the bubblin' crude") this little gem from Alex's brain: "I wonder if anyone has ever danced tango in a kilt?"

This was the best I could come up with - or the best Google could come up with: (although read to the very bottom of this post for the reason behind the "Piazzolla" tag)



And then there is this from Tango-L:

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:35:33 -0600
From: Gibson Batch
Subject: Tango in a Kilt

OK tango-L, after securing a prior 'nice response' promise from one Tango-L
recipient, I am taking a risk in writing to you again ;-)

Tango in a Kilt:

I have danced Tango in my kilt on several occasions in the last year. I
perform Scottish Country dancing regularly in the Twin Cities and don't have
time to change before a milonga- or it is too much trouble to do so (kilts
weigh several pounds and are a mess to carry around).

OK, the lasses loved the dance - even if I did opt to take off the sporran.
But the most surprising responses were from the MEN in the group. I expect
'men in dress' remarks in general public, but the Tango men seemed to have
more rude comments that I was used to.

I have to say to those men who want to Tango with a kilt, go for it. But do
so with caution (and wear a little eye liner if you do, wink wink).

On the plus side of my kilted milongas, several of my fellow men dancers
have come to me afterwards with favorable comments. I have had several
inquiries about where they too can purchase one of those heavenly garments
(answer: lots of places, but they are expensive).

No you don't have to be Scottish to buy a kilt, but it helps to be in shape
and to have a family plaid you can call upon. Mine plaid is Campbell - the
dreaded enemy of most other clans and hated by the Jacobites - and sole
friends to the king of England (gasp).

But when mixing the lovely blue/green/black pleated plaid and white leggings
(and pen knife) with dim lights and Tango music, the kilt is something I
feel very proud to wear.

Scots are worldwide - I've read over 200 million of us claim Scottish
descent, with only about 2 million actually living in Scotland.

But how is the Scottish scene in Argentina? There are lots of Scots in
Spain, Canada, Australia and the US. I suspect there are lots in Argentina
as well.

I wonder if the Argentinean/Scottish men go to milongas in a kilt on
occasion.

Just food for thought - since the subject came up and people seem to be
hedging on politeness on Tango-L. May we continue to be polite, even if you
disagree.

Zorro in Minneapolis

Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed Internet
access.




Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:18:12 -0400
From: Keith Elshaw
Subject: Tango in a Kilt

Zorro, yours was a post to remember. Thanks for the chuckle.

As I follow regularly because there are so many women who lead well where I
live (I also enjoy being allowed to close my eyes when dancing for a change)
I believe the kilt option for me would be way over the top. Guess it's the
lack of Scottish blood in me.

So, would you follow wearing your kilt - or would you all of a sudden find
time and energy to change before the milonga? (Not a serious question).

Are there any bagpipe recordings of Adios Nonino? La Cumparsita?

Kilt and bagpipe milonga theme night. What a concept.

k

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:36:32 -0400
From: Keith Elshaw
Subject: Kilts P.S.

There is a photo in the Piazzolla Memoirs of him proudly wearing a kilt - so
don't laugh.

No comments: