Saturday, November 2, 2019

I haven't been to a Tango Festival in a long time -- Tango Maya Fest next week!




Not counting our local Austin Spring Tango Festival, which is like 5mins from our house. But a real, bona fide, big-time, fancy-ass tango festival. Probably Denver back in 2007. I guess I've really only ever been to two - multiple times each - Denver and Atlanta. Fandango de Tango back when it was in Austin - tango with lots of salsa and really bad DJ's. And then our Austin Spring Tango Festival, which we didn't go last year b/c we're boycotting. We were thinking about going this year, but then we heard they want to allow the reason we're boycotting to come back into the community, even though our primary venue/organizers have laid down a lifetime ban on the reason we're boycotting. Anyway, I digress. I'm going to write about that subject - the reason we're boycotting subject. Some day.

So we're headed to the Tango Maya Fest next week. Cancun. Mexico. A week of R&R. Sun, sand, swim, sleep, read, eat, dance, fuck, make love, and all that jazz. Three or four hundred dancers. I'm looking forward to it. Excited actually. I don't get excited, except when we're gonna, uh...never mind. Sugar G always excites me. Plus I need a vacation. This is kinda our first "real" vacation together. We did go to Marfa at Christmas. Oh yeah, New Orleans Tango Festival a few years ago. That one too.

Fwiw, Sugar G has attended this festival several times. Maybe even many times. This year is number 9 for the festival. I think she's attended at least 5 or 6 years.


So I guess I'll post and report a bit. Maybe. We shall see.


The headliners/maestro-as/teachers:


Sebastian Arce & Mariana Montes





Guillermo de Fazio & Giovanna Dan





Luciano Brigante & Alejandra Orozco (the festival organizers!)





Daniela Roig & Hernan Prieto





Guillermo Salvat & Miriam Lea




Class/milonga schedule
click to view a larger image






#TangoMayaFest2019
Tango Maya Fest 2019

No comments: