Friday, May 9, 2008

Alex's current project...

Alex's current project...

This is what I have been working on the past couple of months - something like this - not this exact structure. The concept is similar - an open air "loggia". It's 3 feet above the pool level - at the same level as the house. I've expanded an existing concrete patio off of the house - bringing the width to 14'6" versus the original 6'-0".

16 tons of Pennsylvania bluestone will be arriving in a week or so. The loggia level will get grouted/mudset stone in a pattern that is called "pattern" - the same as the photo. The pool level will all be sandset with grass in between the stones - in a grid pattern. The pool will also get all new coping stones. All of the existing Pavestone brand concrete pavers will be removed - I've removed about half so far to make way for the patio expansion. There will also be one monumental stair, and another lesser/plain stair. Plus handrailings. Shit, I have a lot of work to do.

The loggia itself will be 10x10 timbers - open air - exposed structure - all douglas fir. There will be a see through (double sided) outdoor fireplace with a flat screen TV above the firebox.

There will also be a hot tub where a huge, overbuilt fountain used to be. The hot tub will have IPE (Ironwood) multi-level decks around it for laying out and/or seating - wide and low.

The difference with this project versus my others in recent years is that I am doing all the work myself. I have had two day laborers helping me the past two weeks and will increase the labor force to help with the bluestone. It's been a grueling and backbreaking experience for me - a "I'm too old for this shit scenario". But at the same time it has been fun too - lots of sweating, huffing and puffing, grunting and cursing. Cuts & bruises. Redneck sunburn. It's been twenty plus years since I've done heavy labor. It's good for me. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

The other difference is that this is a design-build project - designed and built by me. The design is all in my head - with a few sketches along the way to work out the details.

The clients are great - personal friends - a doc and his wife. Clients don't get any better than this.

Anyway, this is what I am up to, when I'm not blogging or sleeping.

1 comment:

studio wellspring said...

incredible. absolutely incredible.