Monday, May 5, 2008

The one who got away...sorta...

Selena

This is a photo of a "trick rider" who I almost married about five years ago. "Almost married" is an overstatement. This is one of those obscure/random facts about me that I almost forgot about myself. Going through photos on my computer yesterday jogged my memory.

She was 21. I was 43. We didn't love each other. We barely knew each other. She was a friend of a friend and needed help. It was a green card thing. We had many serious discussions about it. We both pondered the implications for a number of weeks.

Then we both decided it was not a smart thing to do.

She's an amazing young woman. Sweet and innocent and beautiful and delicate. As delicate as a trick rider can be. Perhaps it's her heart that seems delicate. She grew up on a 250,000 acre cattle ranch and is now driving heavy equipment at an open-pit mine - one of those gigantic dump trucks - I think.

We still keep in touch - an email back and forth every few months....

No comments: