Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tango::Love In The Time of Cholera

Love in the time of Cholera

On my way to this movie yesterday, because of the time period the movie is set in, and the fact that it is set in South America (albeit Colombia, en el norte), i wondered if there might be any tango references in the film. No, don't get excited - there is no tango dancing, but there is one scene with a short clip of tango music. I don't want to give too much away - it's the scene with the character America - Florentino is picking her up at the train station - and there is a tango song playing in the background - emanating from some shop along the street. I'm pretty sure it's Carlos Gardel - but now I can't remember enough to ID the song.

Overall, I liked the movie, but it was nothing earthshatteringly moving. I thought John Leguizamo was poorly cast as the father. I thought the acting was "off" at times. The makeup was absolutely terrible. I was expecting more based on their use of Leonard Maltin's quote "This is the best movie I have seen all year..."

I don't think I will give away too much by saying this - so be warned - if you plan to see the movie you might want to stop reading now....

There is a scene toward the end...and Florentino is talking to Fermina about love...and he says something like this....

"Love is a state of grace, it is not a means to an end...it is an end unto itself..." and something else more profound that I can't remember now...the "means to an end" is rather cliche'd...but it was a good line...in a good scene...

I would see it again... I will see it again ...

And now I am reading the book...

No comments: