Sunday, March 16, 2008

Strange Dreams :: Enchanted Rock :: Tango with Sandra Bullock

I dreamed that I was driving my daughter's new (used) car, a VW, going about 80mph on the highway. Then a dude on a beach cruiser bicycle (big fat tires, no gears, coaster brakes) pedals up alongside me, also doing 80mph, and I notice he is wearing flip-flops. He and another dude on a bike are tooling around, accelerating and deccelerating and weaving in and out of the traffic.

I was alone in the car, talking to my daughter on a key fob. That's right, the keyless entry thingamajigger was working like a cell phone. I had the sunroof open, so I had to talk into it, and then hold it up to my ear to hear her reply.

We were trying to coordinate logistics for a family reunion/camping trip - getting vehicles loaded and everyone to the campsite. I think it was Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg, Texas.

I was bummed because all my camping gear was still in storage in Aspen. I was trying to figure out how I was going to camp out for two or three days with only the clothes on my back, and nothing else.

Sidenote: I used to spend a lot of time at Enchanted Rock - camping and rock climbing. (I used to teach and guide rock climbing trips there - in my younger days.) I started going there before it was well known and popular - even before it became a State Park. I remember times when I would be the only one there - my one vehicle in the pink crushed granite parking lot - and having the entire park to myself. Back in the days when it was actually lush, before all the overuse symptoms you see there now.

I even briefly entertained the idea of buying the land when it came up for sale. At the time, there was a mobile home park developer who was going to buy it and make a moble home retirement community and RV campground out of it. I was outraged (as a card carrying member of the Sierra Club at the time), and hatched a plan to do a grassroots donation program - $10 or $20 each - I needed to raise $1.7 million if I remember correctly. Luckily, the State of Texas stepped in and bought it.


That's it...strange dreams...

Postscript :: As I end this post, I have a vague recollection from this dream rolling around in my mind...I'm not sure if it is commingled with some other "stuff" up there...but I think...maybe...I was rushing to make the drive out there...because I was going to be dancing tango with Sandra Bullock...and I didn't want to be late...

No comments: