Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Debbi gets it!!!!!!!!!!! :: Followers do not have a "style"...


Julito
Originally uploaded by Sata



I bow down before Debbi, Queen of Tango. This horse pic was the only one I could find. I was trying to find a knight or someone bowing down, very deeply, before the queen - but no such luck.

Check out Debbi's post about how she adopts the style of whatever leader she is dancing with. This is the sign of a truly great follower. A follower who does not have her own style. All of my teachers have always said this.

I forgot about this. Kinda.

Anyway, I just think it's cool that Debbi posted about this.

3 comments:

Debbi said...

You are much too kind.... I am no where near a queen, although the bowing horse gave me a good laugh.
But thanks for the shout out :-)
Just speaking what I am thinking....
;-)

Anonymous said...

I read/heard somewhere : "Man has style, woman has personnality"...

Anonymous said...

While I agree that Debbi is possibly the queen of tango, I must kindly disagree with your wording...

Of COURSE a good follower has style! I'd have to beg to differ. If a dancer didn't have any personal style, then tango would be very boring and a lot less people would be so in love with it.

You dance who you are. And that's that.

It takes two to tango and both dancers equally contribute their personal style to the dance. Ok, yes, the woman has to adapt to the man more than he has to adapt to her - I know because my dancing is different with each man that I dance with - BUT I never stop dancing like Tina. They keep coming back for more because they like my style.

This has nothing to do with milonguero vs. nuevo, etc... Just because I really don't like nuevo and prefer milonguero and therefore prefer to dance with milongueros does not mean that I am a "bad" dancer or "not a very good follower". It means that I am a milonguera with my own personal preferences.

But really, who cares if somebody is good or bad. Shouldn't we be dancing because we love to dance and are having a good time?

I particularly like how this very nice dancer here in Buenos Aires worded it...
http://tinyurl.com/4w29kt

You might want to read the quote at the bottom where a young lady said, "I followed well, but I didn't dance..."

Just my 2 centavos...